Saturday 16 September 2017

Gadoros to Tompahat on E4: Day 43

For another day it was across agricultural land on straight roads and tracks. There were two highlights: Karoly Kastely and a fete at Tompahat.
Before leaving Gadoros I stopped to pick up some food at the Coop. It was 6:30 am (shops open early) and a farmers' market was setting up with a variety of locally grown vegetables and fruits. I bought a few peaches. Like yesterday's walk the route passed many fields on roads and tracks. They were harvesting the sunflowers. The harvester cut the stems, a screw pulled the sunflowers into the harvester where the seeds were somehow separated and then the plant remains excreted out the back of the machine. A tractor with two trailers was standing by. Periodically the harvester filled a trailer with sunflower seeds from a boom, the seed looking black from a distance streaming out like water from a tap.
At Nagymaros, a village on route, I walked around the grounds of Karoly Kastely. The Karoly family was a big aristocratic family with these stately homes everywhere, I stayed in one that had been converted into a hotel on an earlier trip. This one was nicely located in a bend in the river. I had lunch watching some fishermen with a "Greek" rotunda on the opposite bank.
As I walked the last stretch to Tompahat along a dirt road, not only did several cars come past me heading the other way, there were also a number of horse and carriages (the carriages were open and had two men up front, one driving the horses, and two people behind, so maybe it was a buggy or a trap). I discovered when I arrived at Tompahat that there was a village fete, and I had missed the horse and carriage races. After settling into the Bagoly Szallashely where I am staying for the night I was able to watch some of the events, including a wind band (brass plus clarinet, flute and drums), some youngsters doing ballroom dancing, a young lady singing, possibly songs from musicals, a magician and various other acts, getting more professional as the evening wore on.
As the darkness fell lightening was visible in the West, there was a brief but heavy shower, then they set off the fireworks. As the rain subsided the acts continued but it was time for me to go to bed....

Karoly Kastely 

Young singer at Tompahat fete


No comments:

Post a Comment