Monday 11 September 2017

Korosladany to Rehely visitor centre: Day 38

A beautiful start to the day by the river was followed by long, monotonous, straight farm tracks passed large fields. The walk ended well seeing Great Bustards at the Rehely visitor centre.
I was packed up by 6:10 in time to see a large, red sun rise over the embankment, illuminating the jet trails in the sky. As I walked the last 5 kilometres along the river embankment to Korosladany the trees beside the river were a vivid green in the early morning sun and the grass sweeping down from the path was as bright as a newly mown lawn.
Reaching Korosladany I joined the "bike run" as mothers took their children to school before picking up some shopping. I had to take care as the pavement/cycle path was busy with bikes, and I was given at least one warning shout. Still, I reflected that using bikes was far preferable to the polluting cars and 4 x 4's that crowd the street around the school near my home. Then I felt guilty as people here probably use bikes as they cannot afford a car, and one should not want people to be poor. Nevertheless, come to Hungary and experience it now before it all changes.
After a fully loaded hamburger, juice and expresso, all for just over £3 (another reason for coming to Hungary now are the reasonable prices), I began the less exiting part of the day, involving some 20 kilometres of straight farm tracks through agricultural land. The agriculture provided some diversion, sunflower seeds were being harvested and tractors pulled trailers up and down the road. There was also an oil or gas well, in good condition but not producing anything. Some bird of prey were circling high in the air.
After a long straight street through Devavanya and more fields I reached the environs of the Rehely visitor centre. There were a number of interpretative signs with helpful English translations. I had been seeing a lot of lavender coloured wild flowers that grew on grassland giving it an attractive purplish hue. Thanks to the signs I now know it is called "Hungarian Statice". There was a rare look out tower that gave views across the plain, largely grassland at this point. The National park in which the visitor centre is located aims to preserve the Great Bustard, they have some tame roosters behind fencing so you can see them, also a museum, sheep and some helpful staff. The visitor centre also has some nice rooms where I am staying tonight. It was the only place that answered an e-mail when I was inquiring about accommodation for this trip, for which they deserve special thanks.

Sunrise by the river near Korosladany

Long roads through fields

A female Great Bustard

No comments:

Post a Comment